European Transmission Repair by Certified Expert Mechanics
Trustworthy, cost-effective service keeps your transmission running smoothly
There was a time when luxury European cars were outfitted almost exclusively with manual transmissions. This was great for performance, but put the vehicles at risk of excessive wear and tear from less skilled drivers and stop-and-go driving on congested American roads. Times have changed and European manufacturers, knowing the American preference for automatics, now offer high-performance automatic transmissions in virtually all makes and models. But, whether you drive a manual or an automatic, your luxury car deserves skilled maintenance and repair services from mechanics certified for your particular vehicle. At Oldwick Village Garage, our mechanics are certified specialists in a variety of European luxury cars, including Porsche, Bmw, Mercedes, Bentley, Rolls Royce, VW/Audi, or Rover/Jaguar. We are the garage you can trust most to keep your vehicle running smoothly.
Tips for keeping your transmission in peak condition
There are three great enemies of your car’s transmission: poor driving habits, and inattentiveness, and lack of service. If you abuse your transmission, fail to heed its cries for help, and delay regular maintenance, you’ll be setting yourself up for a huge repair bill.
Here are a few tips to keep your transmission healthy:
- Fully engage your clutch – If you are driving a manual transmission, don’t take half-measures when it comes to depressing your clutch. Press that pedal all the way to the floor, so it releases fully, and you don’t grind your gears.
- Never shift into reverse until you are fully stopped – Haste makes waste, and strips gears.
- Avoid engine breaking – Popping your transmission into a lower gear and using the resistance to slow the car down can extend the life of your brakes, but is not beneficial for your transmission. There are times when engine breaking is appropriate, as on a steep down-hill, but making a habit of this practice is asking for trouble. This also wastes fuel and puts extra wear and tear on the entire drivetrain.
- Adhere to your manufacturer’s maintenance schedule – Getting a tune-up or changing transmission fluid on time keeps you in compliance with the terms of your warranty and protects your transmission. Transmissions slowly wear over time mechanically and fluid also breaks down. Worn fluid is not able to do its job lubricating and providing the proper friction characteristics. All transmissions should be serviced with new appropriate fluid and filter to maximize life span.
- Trust your ears – If your engine’s sweet purr morphs into an angry growl, it’s time for a consultation with your friendly mechanic.
If you treat your transmission right, pay attention to the signals you’re getting from it, and respond in a timely manner, you can keep your transmission running smoothly and avoid expensive repairs.
Signs your transmission needs professional attention
If you’ve invested in a luxury European automobile, you haven’t just bought a car, you’ve entered into a relationship. This relationship requires you to be an active participant, responding to signals from your partner. Signals indicating a transmission problem include:
- Transmission “slips” while accelerating
- Grinding sounds with gear changes
- Failing to engage into gear
- Poor shift feel
- Slamming into gear
If any of these signs are present, seek immediate assistance from a certified mechanic who can give your luxury car the skilled service it deserves. But, if these signs are not present, don’t take it as a sign you can drive your car past it’s date of scheduled maintenance. You have two good reasons to keep that appointment: the terms of your warranty and the off-chance your mechanic’s inspection will nip a transmission problem in the bud.
Get expert transmission service for your European luxury car
Don’t let a minor transmission issue ruin your investment. Oldwick Village Garage specializes in European makes and models, so we provide the best available transmission service for your Bmw, Mercedes, Porsche, VW/Audi, Jaguar/Rover and Exotics. Call us today at (908) 439-2236 to schedule an appointment.