How to Deal with a Faulty Fuel Gauge in Your MINI
Your MINI owner’s manual says your fuel tank holds a certain number of gallons before running out of fuel, but you may suddenly find yourself out of gas on the side of the road, waiting for a serviceman to bring you a gas-can refill. This is a commonplace occurrence when the fuel gauge in a MINI is faulty.
Your MINI’s fuel gauge is responsible for measuring how much fuel is left in your fuel tank, so you can determine how much further you can travel without filling up. As you can imagine, a faulty fuel gauge can lead to some serious issues when MINI owners don’t realize this is the case.
Sometimes you may suspect your fuel gauge is misbehaving, while other times it may be a complete surprise. We’ll go over a few ways you can detect impending issues with your MINI’s fuel gauge and what you can do for a quick fix.
Signs of a Faulty Fuel Gauge in a MINI
Preparing for a component breakdown can leave you feeling prepared for anything. While a faulty fuel gauge is less critical than other component malfunctions, it can still be a nuisance. Here are a few ways you can be on the lookout for a faulty fuel gauge development in your MINI:
- Gauge showing empty after filling up: When you’ve just filled your MINI’s gas tank and your fuel gauge is still showing empty, you know it isn’t working properly.
- Fuel gauge stuck at full: If you’ve driven all week without the arm indicator on your fuel gauge moving, your best bet is that the gauge is faulty. Bring it into our professional for a quick fix.
- Constant gauge fluctuation: It is normal for your fuel gauge to move up and down as you put more miles on your vehicle, but if the gauge arm is moving quickly but you aren’t putting on the miles, this is a good indicator of a problem.
- Floating gauge arm: If the arm indicator of your gauge never stops moving and always appears to be floating, you may never know how much fuel you have due to a faulty fuel gauge.
Reasons for a Faulty Fuel Gauge in Your MINI
Unlike other types of component failures, there isn’t much you can do to keep your MINI’s fuel gauge from malfunctioning. No type of preventive maintenance can catch this fault. You’ll just have to address it as you begin to notice signs of fuel gauge failure. Here are a few reasons why your fuel gauge may not be accurate, though:
- Disconnected wires: Over time, connections can become loose in the mechanical components of your MINI. Fuel gauges are prone to this occurrence, which can be fixed with readhering wires or completely new wiring.
- Faulty fuse: A fuse that has gone out can affect the electrical connection in your fuel gauge. This is a quick and simple fix with a fuse replacement.
- Component failure: Regardless of wiring and fuse function, the fuel gauge in your MINI may simply fail. This requires the purchase and installation of a new gauge by an experienced technician.
Visit Oldwick Village Garage for Your MINI’s Fuel Gauge Problems
Dealing with a faulty fuel gauge in your MINI can be a hassle. When you never know how much fuel you actually have, you may always be on edge wondering if you have enough to get where you need to go. Take the guesswork out of fueling your MINI by visiting our Oldwick Village Garage repair facility in Tewksbury, NJ. We know how tedious it can be to fix minor repairs in a MINI, so our experienced and trained technicians are here to help.
At Oldwick Village Garage, we never stop caring for our customers. Offering around-the-clock care for your MINI, we pride ourselves on offering better customer service and turnaround time than traditional dealerships can. European & exotic automobiles are our specialty niche, so MINI component failure is within the realm of what we do best at Oldwick Village Garage. Our technicians have access to all the special tools and updated software necessary to diagnose and repair your MINI.
As a leader in Tewksbury for European and exotic car maintenance, we set the standard for all other repair service facilities to meet. We provide excellent service to our loyal customers and ensure quality work that can be trusted. You won’t find anyone better to take care of your MINI, so give us a call today at (908) 439-2236 to set up an appointment.