Top Reasons for Transmission Failure in Your Land Rover
Depending on your driving habits and how well you stick to routine maintenance, your Land Rover’s transmission should last between 150,00 to 200,000 miles, or about seven years on average.
The transmission system in your Land Rover is in charge of transferring power from your engine to your wheels for movement. It also regulates the vehicle speed for efficient utilization of the engine power.
Apart from old age, several other factors can cause the transmission to fail prematurely. Therefore, the proper maintenance of your transmission will help ensure its longevity and smooth performance.
Discussed below are the causes and symptoms of a failing transmission system.
Reasons why your Land Rover Transmission Fails
The following reasons could cause your Land Rover transmission to fail.
- Low or leaking transmission fluid: Transmission fluid plays an important role in its overall performance. The fluid lubricates and cools down the transmission, preventing it from overheating. When the transmission fluid is low due to leaks or worn out after continuous use, the transmission will overheat, causing it to fail.
- Faulty Torque Converter: The torque converter in automatic transmissions performs a similar function as the clutch in manual transmissions. It transfers engine power to the transmission, allowing the smooth running of both components. When the torque converter is faulty, the transfer of engine power to the transmission is affected, which may cause the transmission’s failure.
- Defective Valve Body: When there is a gear change in an automatic transmission, the valve body opens and closes, allowing transmission fluid to flow into the appropriate area. Over time, the valve body gives in due to excessive heat or pressure, affecting the transmission functionality.
- Worn out gears: Regular fluid change helps keep your transmission running smoothly and efficiently. If you leave your transmission running on low or worn out fluid, it can cause it to overheat, which could cause the gears to wear out and consequently malfunction.
Symptom of a Failing Land Rover Transmission
- Leaking fluid: One of the most obvious signs of an issue with your Land Rover transmission is leaking transmission fluid. The liquid is usually dark red or pink and could have resulted from several factors, including a worn seal or gaskets, incorrectly fixed cooler lines, or a loose pan. Since the fluid lubricates and cools down the moving parts within the transmission, the system will fail without sufficient transmission fluid.
- Unusual Sounds: Your Land Rover is designed to run smoothly. Unusual noise from your Land Rover transmission is another indicator of an issue. The unusual sound could be a noticeable lurch or an intense noise when engaging or switching between gears. Whichever is the case, you should visit an expert to have the issue examined before it damages other parts.
- Slipping gear: While in motion, your vehicle is meant to shift between gears smoothly. However, due to constant use, the transmission gears begin to wear down, which causes them to slip out of sync. When they slip out of sync, it causes a delayed gear change, bumpy shifts, or pushes the transmission into limp mode in extreme cases.
- Slow acceleration: Since your vehicle acceleration and torque are linked to your transmission, you will notice sluggish acceleration when your transmission starts to fail. If you’ve skipped maintenance for a while, going in for maintenance may fix the reduced performance.
- Transmission fails to engage: If you notice one or more of the symptoms discussed above and leave them unattended, your gear will eventually fail to engage. The issue could have resulted from worn-out gears, faulty valve body, or low transmission fluid.
Since your transmission is instrumental to your vehicle’s movement, if you detect any issue, the only way to safely proceed is to bring it to our certified mechanics.
Oldwick Village Garage for Top-notch European and Exotic Vehicle Repair and Services
At Oldwick Village Garage, our mechanics provide top-notch service for European and Exotic automobiles. We offer all the services and repairs your Land Rover needs to perform at its best, including transmission repairs. We are located in the Oldwick Village Garage area in Tewksbury, NJ.
Our ASE-certified technicians are experienced with specialty tools that allow us to deliver affordable, high-quality repairs and maintenance services. Not only will we fix your transmission problem, but we will also run a full diagnostic inspection to ensure that you do not leave our repair shop with any other issues. Please call or visit our shop to schedule an appointment today!